Sweet Treats for the Holidays
As we start preparing for the holiday season baking is a popular activity around the house. Youth and staff share their favourite holiday traditions and treats. In lead up to the holiday season, these almond orange biscotti are a favourite recipe to prepare in our Cooking for Life Culinary Arts training program.
Yield: 1485g x 2 logs (742g each)
- 1 lb Butter, soft
- 420 g Sugar
- 12g Baking powder
- 6 g Salt
- 200g/4 pc Eggs
- 6 g Vanilla Extract
- 2 pc Oranges, zest only
- 3 g Fennel Seed
- 400g Almonds, sliced
- Cream butter and sugar together in mixer with paddle attachment until soft.
- Slowly add in eggs and vanilla, mix until light pale yellow and fluffy.
- Add in all dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Mold into 2 large logs that are 2 ¼ inch wide and ¾ inch tall.
- First bake at 325 for 20 –30 minutes, let cool on tray for 10 minutes. Cut with bread knife into ½ thick slices, lay flat on baking sheet.
- Drop oven to 275 and bake for another 30 minutes until almost completely dry.
- Let cool and enjoy.