- 2 pounds rhubarb stalks, sliced 1/2 inch thick (about 7-1/2 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, (250 grams) divided
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and quartered (about 3-1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups (300 grams) light brown sugar
- 1-3/4 cups (200 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups (130 grams) rolled oats
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (113g) butter, softened and cut into pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F
2. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish with oil spray and reserve
Prepare the Fruit:
3. Place the sliced rhubarb to a medium size bowl and sprinkle with 3/4 cup of the sugar, stirring to distribute throughout. Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes or can leave overnight in fridge, stirring occasionally to withdraw some of the liquid in the slices.
4. In another bowl, toss the strawberries with the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, Prepare the Topping:
5. Combine the sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon and salt to a large bowl and mix well. Add the butter and mix with a pastry blender or fork, working to a crumbly consistency. Stir in the chopped pecans, then set the topping aside.
6. Pour off and discard all but 1/4 cup of the accumulate liquid from the rhubarb.
7. Add the drained rhubarb to the bowl of strawberries and toss to combine.
8. In a small dish, mix the cornstarch, lemon juice and vanilla together with the 1/4 cup of reserved rhubarb juice (if not enough juice, use water). Stir the cornstarch mixture into the strawberry-rhubarb mixture, combining well.
9. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and distribute the reserved topping evenly over the strawberry-rhubarb mixture.
10. Transfer the dish to the middle of the oven. Bake for 30 minutes, reduce the oven to 325°F and bake an additional 25-30 minutes longer until the filling is bubbling at the edges and golden brown.