Learning how to express creativity through food is part of working in our Cooking for Life Kitchen. With our Cheeseburger Spring Rolls recipe, our young people put a delicious and unique twist on a classic dish.
Cheese Burger Spring Rolls
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ cup medium yellow onion minced
- 1 TBSP vegetable oil for cooking
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 cup grated cheese (mozzarella, cheddar)
- ½ cup diced dill pickles
- 12-16 Spring Roll Wrappers
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup mayo
- ¼ cup mustard (optional)
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and fresh cracked pepperInstructions:
Preheat a medium cooking pan over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of oil and minced onion. Sauté until onion translucent.
2. Add ground beef to the pan and break it up as much possible. Season with some salt and pepper, cover and cook until meat starts to brown. Stir well and make sure to keep breaking up all meat clumps as it cooks. Drain off all the juices and place cooked meat into a mixing bowl.
3. Add cheese to the bowl. Mix until cheese is melted and evenly distributed. Stir in pickles
4. Heat the oil to 350 F as you roll the spring rolls.
5. Gently whisk egg whites and set it close to you.
6. To roll the spring rolls, place spring roll wrapper on a diamond. Spread about 2 tablespoons of cheeseburger filling in a line, leaving about an inch on either side. Gently fold the corner closest to you over the cheeseburger mixture, and tuck under the filling. Fold both side corners toward center of wrapper, it will start to look like an open envelope. Dip your fingers in egg white and trace the edges of the wrapper to seal it closed. Carefully roll up the spring roll.
7. Place spring rolls in the deep fryer in small batches for 5 minutes or until golden brown, turning once the bottom side turns golden.
8. Whisk all ingredients for the sauce until completely incorporated. Serve with Spring Rolls.