A recipe from our Cooking for Life kitchen
Chef instructor Danny Moon, from our Cooking For Life program, has served up a nutritious recipe and sure to warm you up this time of year.
Roasted Mushroom Soup
8 cups of mushrooms (mix of any type), stems and tops separated
4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
½ a cup of onions, roughly chopped
½ a bunch of thyme leaves picked
1 ½ tablespoon of oregano
3 tablespoons of butter
¼ teaspoon of salt
¼ teaspoons black pepper
1 cup of heavy cream
½ cup cooking wine
- Place mushroom tops, thyme, oregano, and toss together with a drizzle of vegetable oil in a large bowl.
- Place the mixture of mushrooms and herbs on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and roast in a preheated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a stockpot, sweat the onions with butter over medium heat.
- Add the mushroom stems to the pot.
- Add cooking wine and reduce.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock and stir.
- Add the roasted mushrooms to the pot (set aside some for garnish if desired). Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the stockpot from the heat.
- Use an immersion blender to puree together.
- Return to heat and add heavy cream, let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!